Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gator Taters recipe

So, I have been looking for gator meat online and haven't had much luck with the price.  I have a local butcher that might have some in his retail store so I'm going to check with him tonight.  He sells a lot of specialty meats and sausages so I hope he has some gator tail meat or can get some for me.

If the gator meat is found, the recipe that I will use is below.  The only part I won't use is the baked potatoes but I'm leaving it in just in case someone else wants to use it in its entirety.

Gator Tators

Fried Gator:
2 pounds gator tail cut into chunks
salt and pepper
flour
buttermilk
16 ounce vegetable oil

Baked Grilled potatoes:
4 potatoes
1/2 pound butter

Potato sauce:
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
2 cups grated cheese, optional

In a large bowl, toss the gator chunks into the buttermilk, and dredge with flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Using a large skillet, heat oil to 350 degrees and fry gator chunks until golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.

In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients to make the potato sauce, and mix well.

Wash and coat potatoes with a little bit of oil. Pierce each potato with a fork, wrap in tin foil, place directly on hot coals, and cook for approximately 45 minutes. Use tongs to turn potatoes often. Split potatoes and top with butter and potato sauce. Top potatoes with two pieces of fried gator chunks on top and sprinkle with cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment